Iraqi spokesman says US security offer not enough
QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA ASSOCIATED PRESS
Originally published 01:10 p.m., November 10, 2008, updated 12:26 p.m., November 10, 2008
- BAGHDAD (AP) - An Iraqi government spokesman says the U.S. should offer new amendments to a draft security agreement that would keep American troops in Iraqi until 2012.
The spokesman, Ali al-Dabbagh, said Monday changes proposed by the U.S. were "not enough" and asked Washington to offer more if it wants the pact to win parliamentary approval.
The two sides have gone back and forth over the pact, but the Bush administration said its offer last week was final.
But al-Dabbagh said that wouldn't be enough for the Iraqi government.
"There are still some points in which we have not reached a bilateral understanding," he told The Associated Press.
Al-Dabbagh said the government wanted "answers that are suitable to the Iraqis."